Training in gender-sensitive educational planning
The IIEP-UNESCO Africa Office offers an annual high-level online course on gender-sensitive educational planning. After French-speaking Africa in 2020 and English-speaking Africa in 2021, the third edition in 2022 will target Portuguese- and Spanish-speaking countries in Africa and Latin America, in collaboration with the IIEP-UNESCO Office in Buenos Aires.
- A high-level online course on gender-sensitive planning aimed at strengthening the capacites of education specialists in Africa.
- Conducted within the framework of the Gender at the Centre Initiative (GCI), this course is supported by a professional development programme.
- These activities contribute to IIEP-UNESCO's work to promote gender equality in education.
Description of the course
Short course on gender-sensitive educational planning
- A 72-hour training course spread over nine weeks, available on application.
- Three distance-learning modules, accessible on the IIEP-UNESCO virtual campus learning platform.
- Four languages: French, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
- A flexible organisation combining plenary sessions, autonomous learning and collaborative activities.
Discover the 2021 short course programme
Profile of the participants
Our training courses in gender-sensitive educational planning target primarily middle and senior managers of government institutions and educational administrations involved in the formulation, planning and implementation of educational policies in Africa, at the central or decentralised level.
Participants may also come from the world of research and education, international organisations, development aid partners and non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
Successful candidates typically hold positions of high responsibility, such as:
- Executive, planner in a technical department of a ministry (National Education, Higher Education, Finance, Planning, Health, etc.) or in a decentralised agency
- Education inspector
- Director of a training institution, dean of a faculty
- Researcher, teacher in a national institution specialising in educational planning
- Executive Director of an NGO active in the field of educational planning and management in Africa
These courses are particularly aimed at professionals from the eight Gender at the Centre (GCI) programme countries: (Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria and Sierra Leone).
“The course in gender-sensitive educational planning provided me with the skills and knowledge necessary to develop reference documents for the promotion of gender equality in education. In particular, I learned how to better differentiate data by sex. This is essential for initiating strategic actions that take into account the specific needs of girls and boys.”
Calendar and applications
For the year 2021, the online course on gender-sensitive educational planning will run from mid-October to mid-December. The call for applications for English-speaking African countries is now closed.
The next call for applications will be launched in the first half of 2022. Aimed primarily at Portuguese-speaking African and Latin American countries, the course will be in Portuguese and Spanish.
The objective of the cohort program led by IIEP-UNESCO Dakar is to build and consolidate an African community of practitioners in gender sensitive educational planning. Launched in 2021 as a follow-up to the first edition of the gender sensitive educational planning course, this programme is intended to welcome new alumni over time.
It combines different types of activities:
- Peer learning and professional development
- Capitalising on knowledge
- Experiences on the institutionalisation of gender in education administrations
In parallel to the collaborative activities carried out remotely, IIEP-UNESCO Dakar is planning face-to-face meetings and workshops with the members of the cohort program, provided the global health situation allows it.
As part of the technical assistance provided to the eight African countries of the Gender at the Centre Initiative, IIEP-UNESCO Dakar’s GCI team organises customised training on gender in education. Delivered locally to managers and agents of ministries of education at the central or decentralised level, these courses are designed based on the needs and priorities of each country.
Program Manager / Gender at the Centre Initiative
Focal point “Protection from sexual exploitation and abuse” of IIEP-UNESCO in Dakar
Therrezinha Fernandes Kinkin
Program Manager / In charge of training
UNESCO is committed to a zero tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and abuse by its staff.
Learn more about UNESCO policy on protection against sexual exploitation and sexual abuse